Varkala - The top 5 beach locations to visit at Kerala. There is a choice of Sightseeings - No of Beaches to visit, Religious Places, Historical Monuments, Backwater, Watersports, Varkala Cultural centre.
Beaches - Popular beaches
- Varkala Beach Also knows as Papanasham beach renowned for a Natural Spring. Its believed to have medicinal properties purges the soul of all sins. There a cliff near to the beach one can watch the beach from the top of the Cliff. In 2019, Varkala Beach was selected as the second most stunning cliff beach in the world.
- Kappil Beach, 7 km north of Varkala, It is a beach – backwater destination.
- Thiruvambadi Beach, Black sand Beach A quiet beach away from the Crowds
- Odayum Beach, A Small beach has a choice of Resorts which offers the Ocean view.
- Edava Beach, Beach and backwaters divided by a small strip of land
Watersports - A choice of activities to Explore - Banana boat, Parasailing, Jet Ski, Snorkelling, Catamaran Sailing at the Varkala beach.
Varkala Aquarium - It has a collection of different types of fishes to watch. It has a 3 storied building with spiral staircase and a must to visit for Kids.
Varkala Cultural Centre - To watch Performance of Kerala Traditional dance - Kathakali, Traditional fight performance - Kalariyapattu.
It has Sculpture Jatayu Bird, Mythological bird of Ramayan Era. It supposed to be the largest sculpture of a bird in the world. It is on 1000 ft giant rock, a length of 200 ft, a width of 150 ft. The height of the giant statue is 70 ft.
Its believed that Jatayu fell on this hill after the Fight with Ravana stands. The attraction is the cable car to reach the top, various adventure activities, Trekking, Paintball. Its 27km away from Varkala and travel time is 50mnts.
- Anchuthengu Fort: Anchuthengu Fort was established in the Late 16th Century. The fort served as the first signalling station for ships arriving from England.
- Ponnumthuruthu island known as Golden Island, It is situated in Anjengo lake. An uninhabited island one can watch a lot of migratory birds and a 100 Years old Siva Temple.
- Janardhana Swamy Temple - The main deity is Lord Vishnu. It is a 2000-year-old temple. The famous ritual here is offering final rites to their loved ones. The main deity is also called Pitru Mokshan. Its believed that praying to the God here relieves of all ailments.
- Sivagiri Mutt monument A hermitage built-in 1904 Sree Narayana Guru - Social Reformer and Sage, propagated importance one caste, One Religion, One God. The education importance was emphasized by Sree Narayana Guru, Temple for Goddess Saraswathi built in the Year 1912.
- Saint Sebastian Pilgrim Church - Built by Portuguese Missionaries
- Kaduvayil Juma Masjid - Built in remembrance of Saint Kudavayil Thangal.